Securing Your Account with Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an additional factor to your login requirements. It is an essential feature that better secures your portal access because it immediately neutralizes the risks associated with a compromised password. If your Smile ID portal password has been compromised, that is no longer enough to give an intruder access; without the second factor, the password alone is useless.
As the account owner, you can require two-factor authentication as a login requirement for all your users. When activated, your users will be prompted to set up 2FA when next they attempt to login. Smile ID recommends you activate two-factor authentication as it better secures the portal.
Activating 2FA for your users is as easy as following 3 steps the below:
To set up their 2FA, your users can follow the instructions below.
If two-factor authentication (2FA) has been required by the account owner in your organisation, you will be required to setup 2FA when next you attempt to login. To setup 2FA, you will need a time-based one-time password (TOTP) application. A TOTP application automatically generates an authentication code that changes after a period of time. We recommend using cloud-based TOTP apps such as:
- 1.Download a TOTP app
- 3.Click Enable under "Set Up Two-Factor Authentication"
- 4.After clicking Enable, you should see a QR code and some instructions. You can do one of the following:
- Scan the QR code with the TOTP app you installed in step 1. After scanning, the app displays a six-digit code you can enter on the portal
- If you can't scan the QR code, you can copy the code written on the screen manually into the TOTP app instead
- 5.The TOTP app saves your Smile ID account and generates a new authentication code every few seconds. Type the six-digit code the TOTP app generated in the "Enter OTP" field and click Submit OTP
- 6.Once you have submitted the OTP, you should see your 10 backup codes. Click Copy Backup Codes and paste in a secure location because the backup codes can help you get back into your account if you lose access to your TOTP app
- 7.After saving the backup codes in a secure location, click on Done to complete setting up the 2FA. You should be automatically logged in to the portal